I am about to fly to London and I haven't stayed there for a while, how exciting is that ! As I am preparing for my flight, I realized it took my a little while to know exactly what to bring with me in the cabin to be able to feel comfy and take care of my health/beauty. In the past, I often landed sweaty with breaking-dry skin and feeling very uncomfortable. Planes will never be as welcoming as home of course, but I felt like writing about the little life changing tips.
I think if you should focus on only one tip it's this part you should remember. Air conditioning in planes does not only dry your skin but also dehydrates your body, and hydration is so important for your health at any level, you don't want to feel sick when you arrive at your destination !
- Drink water. It's a no brainer but you need to drink more than what the plane personnel offers you. You could carry an empty bottle with you at the airport that you can fill with water after security or buy one, and not hesitate to ask for more water during the flight. It's recommended to drink at least a glass (250mL) per hour of flight.
- It can be useful to do a high hydrating face mask the night/day before your flight, so your skin will be prepared for hours of dry air.
- Always carry lip balm with you ! You can also use it around the eyes (but be careful not to put it in the eyes though) if you don't want to bring too many products, as it will also protect this area.
- Think about the hand cream ! I use to forget to pack this ultra necessary item, and after washing my hands many times, my skin literally started breaking. So HAND CREAM, always, but even more necessary during flights.
- Eye drops. As I wear contact lenses, it really makes a difference for me. Maybe you won't feel like you need to use it, but you might want to consider it.
I don't understand people who want to look too fancy on a plane : if you're one of them, I don't judge you but seriously how do you do ?? I feel like if I can't be comfy enough to sleep and relax, I won't look good when the plane lands, and that's more important than being cute during the flight.
- Compression tights. Okay, I use to think these were only for grandmas and I refused to be involved in such things. But when you have to fly more than 3-4 hours it's seriously the item you want. Swollen ankles and feet ? Painful legs ? Compression tights help you avoid it. Normally you should go to your pharmacy and ask them to take your measurements, because if it isn't the right size it can do more bad than good (like blocking the blood circulation) or/and be uncomfortable. If I have a short flight, I also sometimes use 2XU recovery compression tights. They are made for recovery after working out, enhancing the blood flow. As they don't cover the ankles and feet they are not perfect, but they are comfortable and they still help a lot the blood circulation. Also remember to put your legs up when ever you can after landing.
- Eye mask. This isn't ugly neither annoying, so you got no excuse. Of course it helps when your neighbor wants to read its book, or when the cabin lights are on, but for me it's also a life savior to keep my eyes from drying.
- Wipes. I usually don't like to use make up remover/cleaning wipes as it's a lot of waste and it's not the most gentle for the skin. But on planes it's great to have something to refresh yourself and wash off the sweat, wash your hands, clean any spilling...
- Think small. Because of security, but also for your own comfort as it can become pretty heavy to have too many products that you only need in tiny quantities, don't forget to use travel sizes or use small containers to put a little bit of your favorite products with you.
- Stay organized. You don't want to have to take everything out of you bag to find you hand cream, and then having your eye drops rolling under your seat... Think travel cases or transparent bags to keep it easy.
- Bring your own headphones. Even if you are not a music addict, having good quality headphones change everything when it comes to watch movies, or even just sleep without hearing babies crying (there's always a baby crying). Since I started using mine, I always feel bad for my neighbors who are sticking with little earbuds or airlines headphones since the constant noise irritates me. You might want to think about it.